An Inclusive Design
Throughout the design process the Trustees and Committee have pushed to offer an inclusive design. The Beehive includes the following aspects:
- 6 wheelchair positions in the auditorium – some at stalls level and some at lower gallery level to give a range of viewpoints. The location of the wheelchair positions within the auditorium vary according to the particular staging configuration as the space is designed for maximum flexibility.
- Accessible WCs at stalls level and at upper gallery level (the upper gallery WC is also convenient to access from the meeting room)
- Ambulant disabled cubicles in the male and female WCs
- Phase 3 scheme accommodates a stage-level accessible dressing room with en-suite accessible WC/shower room
- The staff office is fully accessible with its own dedicated accessible WC.
- Level access from accessible parking spaces in Cyprus Road Car Park through to the lift (via the atrium) – Phase 3.
- Powered entrance doors with a level threshold.
- All counters will have a lowered portion for wheelchair users, along with a hearing loop.
- Assisted listening system in the auditorium
- Lift to all floors, providing wheelchair access to all key spaces, including auditorium, dance studio, Cyprus Hall, foyers and meeting room.
- Visual contrast in the internal finishes to aid visually impaired patrons.
- Variety of performance types and timings, including ‘relaxed’ and dementia friendly performances. In the detailed design stage and when training staff, the intention is to engage with the Burgess Hill Dementia Access Alliance to ensure that the building best meets the needs of those living with dementia and their carers.
- Signed and captioned performances provided by incoming productions
- Variety of ticket purchasing options (online, by telephone or in person). Priority ticketing options for wheelchair users and those with particular access requirements. Registration scheme allowing patrons to register any access or assistance requirements to their account (so that they only need provide this information once).
- Changing Places WC (with hoist, changing bench etc.) planned for installation in Phase 1 or 2.